[rfc-i] Looking for design assistance with the HTML publication format

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu May 15 15:21:02 PDT 2014

On 5/15/14, 12:28 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Heather,
>
> I'm not going to volunteer for this because I'm not qualified.
>
> But I have a question:
>
> I think there are currently *two* HTLM formats:
> - the HTML output from xml2rfc
> - the "HTMLized" format derived from the .txt
>
> Is the intent to only have one HTML format in the future?
>
> Frankly I prefer the HTMLized format over the generated HTML format.
> Maybe that is because it is effectively the txt format with links, so
> that it is sufficient to know what the txt format looks like.
> Conceivably I might eventually like something else better if I used it
> all the time, but I think it will take some beauty contests to decide.

Hi Paul,

I am talking specifically about the HTML output that will be created by
the RFC Editor.  The "HTMLized" format derived from the .txt is not
something the RFC Editor produces, maintains, or supports.  Whether the
IETF chooses to continue creating that document is not my call, but I
would like to think the new formats coming out of the RFC Editor will
become preferred by the majority of the community, such that
tools.ietf.org no longer needs to house alternately rendered RFCs.

-Heather