[rfc-i] Comments in the canonical RFCs

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon May 12 09:52:07 PDT 2014

On 5/9/14, 11:34 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> +1.  We probably want to retain the last edited copy of the XML separate
> from the published canonical version for other reasons (e.g. expanding
> TOC), and I don't mind that copy having all the comments left in.  When
> you go to -bis that document, you can start from the last-edited version,
> rather than the canonical one.
>
> On 5/9/14, 1:08 PM, "Donald Eastlake" <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I support removal of comments before publication. Hidden potential
>> junk is something we don't want.

And this basically covers my concern and intent regarding comments in
the canonical version of an RFC.  On the balance, comments within the
canonical file cause more problems than they solve.  If someone needs to
comment on the XML used, WG or author notes to future -bis authors, or
offer some other minor clarifying point, I think that correctly belongs
in the draft, not the final RFC.

-Heather