[rfc-i] Comments in the canonical RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri May 9 09:26:24 PDT 2014

On 5/8/2014 12:33 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-05-08 20:38, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>> I would expect that when editing is being done to turn the draft into an
>> rfc the editor will have discretion whether to retain comments or remove
>> them. I was only objecting to making that removal mandatory.
>
> That sounds right to me.

+1

Worrying about potential reader/editor misunderstanding of the role of a
comment invites the observation that readers are capable of
misunderstanding pretty much anything.  Hence the test needs to be the
reasonableness of what is written, no matter its syntactic coding or
structural role.

Comments in "code" can be helpful or confusing.

Just like any other text in a specification.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking