[rfc-i] date formats, Re: Few nits in draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-07

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 8 09:30:07 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-08 18:22, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 17:58 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2014-05-08 17:53, Elwyn Davies wrote:
>>> Hi, Paul.
>>>
>>> Had a quick look through the changes for -07.  Mostly looking good.
>>> Just a few nits.
>>>
>>> s1.2.4, 1st bullet: s/format/representation/
>>>
>>> s2.16, para 2: s/formatter/processor/???
>>>
>>> s2.17 (and subsections) <date>:  I am not convinced by the idea of
>>> having alternative free-format options for month and year attributes.
>>
>> This is nothing new; it's the same thing in RFC2629 and v2.
>
> Hmm.  That appears to be a piece of undocumented functionality
> in/post-facto rationalisation of the existing tools.  Personally I
> hadn't grocked that the <date> attributes weren't type checked in
> References (only, presumably).  The older documents imply day/year
> numbers and month names are what is expected.

RFC 2629 is very incomplete.

The V2 draft attempts to describe the vocabulary as it is implemented
*and* used, and vague dates *are* used in practice (like it or not).

>>> I support the <alternateURI>and its 'type' attribute.  DOI's show up
>>> both as doi scheme and http scheme URIs (whether the latter should be
>>> classed as doi type I am not sure but they have the same effect.
>>
>> So why do we need the type attribute then?
>
> To make it clear that it really is a DOI without having to guess.

I was asking because you said "whether the latter should be
classed as doi type I am not sure but they have the same effect"...

Before we complicate things needlessly: can somebody explain why we need
to allow different notations for DOIs? Why can't we just use their URI
scheme and be done with it? Please?

Best regards, Julian