[rfc-i] The alternateURI element in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu May 8 09:25:56 PDT 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 9:04 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-05-08 16:50, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
> Summarizing, here's my alternative (:-) proposal:
>
> 1) Add a <link> element as child of <rfc> (that can occur multiple times.
>
> 2) The link's target attribute is a URI.
>
> For the ISSN, use the ISSN URN namespace.
>
> For the DOI, use the DOI's URI.
>
> Both can be identified by inspecting the URI scheme or URI scheme + URN namespace.
>
> If typing is needed, use link relations as per RFC 5988 (in an additional "rel" attribute).
>
> Thus,
>
>  <link target="urn:issn:2070-1721"/>
>  <link target="doi:whatever"/>

This is clean for ISSN and DOI. But, I thought you wanted individuals to also be able to say in drafts "here is a URL for my own representation of this draft". If that is still true, the value of "target" would be that URL. We could say that we only define semantics for urn:issn and doi:, not other URI. Is that reasonable?

--Paul Hoffman