[rfc-i] autogeneratedISSN in v3

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 8 08:40:12 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-08 17:30, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On May 8, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> The draft says:
>>>     Holds the ISSN of the RFC series at the time of publication.
>>>     This is filled in by the RFC Processor.
>>> If it is filled in by the RFC Processor, it is autogenerated
>>
>> If it can be filled automatically by the RFC Processor, why does it need to be there in the first place?
>
> The canonical XML needs a place to put it; this is that place.

I disagree that something needs to be in the canonical version if it has
a constant default value.

>> If ISSN numbers *do* change in the future, it seems to be clearer to allow the author to specify it, instead of having to wait for an updated version of the RFC processor...
>
> This is only useful in RFCs, not Internet Drafts, so the author is not specifying it at all. If we get to a place where the RFC Production Center needs to change the value and cannot get their own tool updated to do so, we have much bigger problems.

When I say "author" I refer to people authoring the documents, that
includes the people in the RFC Production Center.

>>> An ISSN is not a URI. It is a string, currently "2070-1721".
>>
>> RFC 3044 defines a URN namespace, thus every ISSN has a URI.
>
> That would be relevant if RFCs listed the series ISSN as a URI, but they don't. If we want to make that change, it would probably be a Style Guide issue.

You are confusing the XML source with what gets displayed.

The XML format can contain

   <yourFavoriteElementName href="urn:issn:2070-1721"/>

and the processor can find and convert it to:

   ISSN: 2070-1721

Best regards, Julian