[rfc-i] autogeneratedISSN in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu May 8 08:30:36 PDT 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> I still don't understand what the "autogenerated" is about.
>>
>> The draft says:
>>    Holds the ISSN of the RFC series at the time of publication.
>>    This is filled in by the RFC Processor.
>> If it is filled in by the RFC Processor, it is autogenerated
>
> If it can be filled automatically by the RFC Processor, why does it need to be there in the first place?

The canonical XML needs a place to put it; this is that place.

> If ISSN numbers *do* change in the future, it seems to be clearer to allow the author to specify it, instead of having to wait for an updated version of the RFC processor...

This is only useful in RFCs, not Internet Drafts, so the author is not specifying it at all. If we get to a place where the RFC Production Center needs to change the value and cannot get their own tool updated to do so, we have much bigger problems.

>>> Also, it seems to be just another case of "alternateURI".
>>
>> An ISSN is not a URI. It is a string, currently "2070-1721".
>
> RFC 3044 defines a URN namespace, thus every ISSN has a URI.

That would be relevant if RFCs listed the series ISSN as a URI, but they don't. If we want to make that change, it would probably be a Style Guide issue.

--Paul Hoffman