[rfc-i] The alternateURI element in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu May 8 08:18:07 PDT 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> I don't believe a "type" attribute is needed.
>>
>> Assume someone wants to find the DOI of a document. Also assume that the URI for DOIs changes in the future. Having the "type" attribute allows them to know definitively what the RFC Editor thought was the DOI without them having to know all historical URI patterns.
>
> I thought we were discussing DOI URIs as defined in RFC 4452?

We were discussing DOIs, and then someone (maybe you?) said that instead of just a DOI attribute in <rfc>, we should have a new element for alternate URIs of any type.

> In which case detecting a DOI URI is just a case-insensitive scheme match.

True. But, if that's the only alternate URI we need, it could be an attribute called "DOI".

>> So, maybe it is not "needed", but it is useful for people who want to find a specific type of alternate URI.
>
> I'm afraid that we are adding a new typing system without clear requirements, and ignoring existing work.

And I'm afraid you are stretching work that is for MIME documents past its breaking point.

> If we need typing on links, why not use the type system established by RFC 5988?

In what possible way? We don't have MIME headers here: we have an XML element. The name of the element is exactly in line with the "alternate" type from 5988. You seem to be objecting to the "type" attribute that meant to be used for searching; 5988 doesn't deal with that, I believe.

--Paul Hoffman