[rfc-i] autogeneratedISSN in v3

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 8 08:16:50 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-08 16:59, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On May 7, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>> - Added the autogeneratedISSN attribute to <rfc>.
>>
>> I still don't understand what the "autogenerated" is about.
>
> The draft says:
>     Holds the ISSN of the RFC series at the time of publication.
>     This is filled in by the RFC Processor.
> If it is filled in by the RFC Processor, it is autogenerated

If it can be filled automatically by the RFC Processor, why does it need
to be there in the first place?

If ISSN numbers *do* change in the future, it seems to be clearer to
allow the author to specify it, instead of having to wait for an updated
version of the RFC processor...

>> Also, it seems to be just another case of "alternateURI".
>
> An ISSN is not a URI. It is a string, currently "2070-1721".

RFC 3044 defines a URN namespace, thus every ISSN has a URI.

Best regards, Julian