[rfc-i] The alternateURI element in v3

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 8 07:57:41 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-08 16:50, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On May 7, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>> - Added <alternateURI> to allow reference to things such as DOIs.
>>
>> I don't believe a "type" attribute is needed.
>
> Assume someone wants to find the DOI of a document. Also assume that the URI for DOIs changes in the future. Having the "type" attribute allows them to know definitively what the RFC Editor thought was the DOI without them having to know all historical URI patterns.

I thought we were discussing DOI URIs as defined in RFC 4452? In which
case detecting a DOI URI is just a case-insensitive scheme match.

> So, maybe it is not "needed", but it is useful for people who want to find a specific type of alternate URI.

I'm afraid that we are adding a new typing system without clear
requirements, and ignoring existing work.

If we need typing on links, why not use the type system established by
RFC 5988?

Best regards, Julian