[rfc-i] The alternateURI element in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu May 8 07:50:17 PDT 2014

On May 7, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>> - Added <alternateURI> to allow reference to things such as DOIs.
>
> I don't believe a "type" attribute is needed.

Assume someone wants to find the DOI of a document. Also assume that the URI for DOIs changes in the future. Having the "type" attribute allows them to know definitively what the RFC Editor thought was the DOI without them having to know all historical URI patterns.

So, maybe it is not "needed", but it is useful for people who want to find a specific type of alternate URI.

--Paul Hoffman