[rfc-i] extension for xml2rfc files?

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 7 08:23:42 PDT 2014

On 5/7/14 10:45 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On May 6, 2014, at 1:17 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK source files intended to processing by xml2rfc typically have a .xml extension. (At least that seems to be what is used in tools.) IMO this is inappropriate - the extension ought to be more specific to the expected format of the document.
>
> Why do you want this? It is hopefully not to make "opening" the document more automatic because there are at least different reasons to open an XML RFC file: to view it, to process it.

I just mentioned that in another reply, but I don't consider it a big
deal. In any case there are lots of file formats that can be operated on
by a number of tools, but for which it is still helpful to have a
default tool for open. (E.g., Programming language source files, which
by default open in a chosen program editor or source mgmt tool, but can
also be operated on by lots of other tools.)

> If what you want is a way to say "this XML is actually an RFC", an internal namespace declaration should be sufficient.

In my experience it is fairly common to have a number of associated
"artifacts" stored in a single directory. It can include various forms
of a draft as well as files representing components used in the process
of maintaining the draft, that may be operated on using a variety of
tools. Being able to identify they type of each of these when looking at
the names is helpful.

What we have now does that, up to a point. But it isn't uncommon to have
xml for other purposes also sitting in the same directory.

For instance one of my WGs is developing an xml-based protocol. So it
isn't unusual to have files containing the schema and example messages
for that protocol in the same directory as the files representing the draft.

	Thanks,
	Paul