[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Mar 31 07:50:07 PDT 2014

>> an erratum to update a URL that was correctly resolvable at the
>> time of publication is at least questionable.
>
>I know what you mean. But if you have a better way to help people find
>the right reference, please tell us.

An alternative would be to replace all of the URLs with URLs at
rfc-editor or ietf which redirect to the underlying URLs, allowing the
redirects to be updated when the resources move.  I think this cure
would be worse than the disease.

In practice, I find that so long as the reference has the full title
and other info, I can search for it and if it's still available, the
new URL is usually easy enough to find.

R's,
John