[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Thu Mar 27 10:46:43 PDT 2014

On 3/25/14, 8:53 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Web caching services still exist.  Do they have a different name now?
>
>1) I am also puzzled by "web caching services". Web caches of course
>exist but are beside the point, because they simply deliver a copy
>of what they previously fetched from the URI in question; they don't
>have a different URL for the content. So what does it mean in this
>document? The Google cache?

I think there’s an important stipulation here between google’s (or
whomever’s) ephemeral cache that is a result of their search spider’s last
crawl and can be retrieved using some URL hackery vs something that was
designed to periodically grab snapshots of sites in order to place it in
an archive.

I’ve noted here before that things like the Internet Archive’s Wayback
Machine http://archive.org/web/ might be a way to cite a date-specific
version of web content, and that it might arguably be the most stable
version of that site. The problem with the Internet Archive is that it
doesn’t always do well with fancy web pages, it may not keep graphics and
CSS such that the content may be a little hard to follow compared with the
original. But it definitely is reasonable insurance against the previously
noted “can’t be 404 in 20 years” problem, if indeed that is the problem
and timeframe we’re trying to solve for.

Wes George