[rfc-i] Angle brackets around URIs/IRIs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Mar 27 07:19:45 PDT 2014

On 3/27/2014 12:33 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> They are very useful in plain text content, in particular, when the URI
> crosses a line end.
>
> In the future, where plain text is a secondary format, this won't be
> strictly needed anymore (after all, the URI is supposed to be marked up
> as URI...).

That nicely suggests that the convention could reasonably be limited to
the txt form generation module.

Just to be safe, we should at least consider whether there are human
factor (reader) benefits in the convention.

Given that the rest of the world does not use bracketing for indicating
URL-ness, I think that any theoretical benefit is displaced by
established practice in HTML, epub, PDF, whatever.

So restricting the bracketing to the txt version probably makes the most
sense?

d/

--
Dave Crocker