[rfc-i] Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Mar 26 22:15:01 PDT 2014

On 2014/03/12 09:05, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> In 4.1.1, the second paragraph needs to say what happens for authors who have non-ASCII characters in their name. Proposal: "Authors' names that cannot be represented in ASCII are first Romanized, then normalized to be ASCII-only. This rule is likely to change in the future."

This is to detailed and potentially wrong. Some authors e.g. from Honk
Kong may want to add a Latin first name if they use one. When taking my
family name, Romanization is a no-op (Dürst → Dürst), and
'normalization' to be only ASCII can be read as removing the dots to get
Durst, which would be wrong.

Why not just say that (as long as we publish ASCII-only) authors have to
supply this information? I'd assume we can trust authors to get their
own names correct :-).

> In 4.7, including a table of contents is a suggestion, and is not strictly enforced. For a recent example, see RFC 7154.

I agree with others that for very short RFCs, it shouldn't be necessary.

> In 4.8.6, it says "It is acceptable for an obsoleted document to be listed as long as the most recent document is referenced also." That's not completely true, because a document that is obsoleting another document can refer to the older one. Proposed change: "When referring to an obsoleted document, it is common practice to also refer to the most recent version as well."

It is also sometimes the case that the obsoleting document references
the obsoleted document. In that case, strictly speaking, the most recent
document isn't referenced.

> In 7.2, the reference to [ISO3166] should have the full attribution for the ISO committee.

That one was fixed, but in contrast to W3C or IETF specs, in ISO neither
the involved committees nor the authors/editors are mentioned in the specs.

Regards,    Martin.