[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Mar 26 19:59:03 PDT 2014

On 2014/03/27 03:15, John Levine wrote:
>>> Nor will be a search engine.
>>
>> This is the biggest disadvantage for the default being "limit the amount
>> of text shown". (Whether it's done through cookies or login.)
>
> It's absolutely common for web sites to look at the user agent string
> and provide web spders versions of the web pages that include
> everything you'd want to index.
>
> Yes, this is a kludge, but it turns out to be a really simple and
> effective one.  If you recognize Googlebot and bingbot and Slurp
> (Yahoo) and maybe a few others, you'll seed all of the indexes anyone
> cares about.

I'd recommend against this one. First, it makes entries for new search
engines tougher. But more importantly, if our documents don't contain
the necessary information (be it in a visible header or in hidden
meta-data), then I think we are doing a bad job on the main form of the
document.

Regards,   Martin.