[rfc-i] document formats, was URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Mar 26 19:52:33 PDT 2014

> Why? The average user doesn't like to click twice, and likewise doesn't (want
> to) think about different versions.

I think we should be careful about assuming that "the average user" wants
whatever one of us wants.

I agree that HTML rendering is getting better, but I also don't think that
browser rendered HTML is likely any time soon to equal ePub for offline
reading on a tablet or PDF for printing.  Their goals are different.

>From what I've seen, a page with an HTML version of the document (or
perhaps part of it for really long ones like RFC 5661) and links to other
formats is likely to be the least bad.  If the client uses HTTP options to
ask for a specific format, it should get that format.

Regards,

PS: Just out of nosiness, what do you think people should get when they
ask for RFC 6948?