[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Mar 26 18:40:43 PDT 2014

On 2014/03/27 06:37, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

>> Any
>> thoughts on guidance for informative references?  or are you in (I think
>> it was Ted's) camp re: trust the author?
>
> That: trust the author. The RFC Editor can override, but after discussion with the author.

I'd go with the same. But there are actually several ways in which we
can trust the author. One is that whatever the author submits is just
published. The other is that stuff gets checked, and for things such as
personal blogs, the author gets asked to confirm that this information
is really needed for the document, than this is the most stable
reference that is available for that content, and that there's a high
chance it won't disappear soon.

In order to achieve the "best, most stable references possible" (see
Heather's mail), which is the right goal, I'd tend towards the later way
of trusting the author rather than the former.

Regards,   Martin.