[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Mar 26 14:58:01 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-26 22:39, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>> think
>> That: trust the author. The RFC Editor can override, but after
>> discussion with the author.
>

> I'll express strong objection to leaving the issue to authors.
>
> Possibly trust the stream editor, but individual authors cannot be
> expected to have enough background or discrimination to judge this issue
> reliably.  And for documents to be useful 20 years hence, this issue
> needs to be handled well.

Nobody knows which URIs will work in 20 years.

However, we know which URIs *have* been stable until today. My personal
experience is that well-maintained personal pages have a higher
stability than some corporate pages. So from that p.o.v., the rule of
thumb in the current spec is simply incorrect.

Best ergards, Julian