[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 26 14:39:21 PDT 2014

On 3/26/2014 2:37 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> >Any
>> >thoughts on guidance for informative references?  or are you in (I think
>> >it was Ted's) camp re: trust the author?
> That: trust the author. The RFC Editor can override, but after discussion with the author.

I'll express strong objection to leaving the issue to authors.

Possibly trust the stream editor, but individual authors cannot be
expected to have enough background or discrimination to judge this issue
reliably.  And for documents to be useful 20 years hence, this issue
needs to be handled well.

d/
--
Dave Crocker