[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 26 12:28:30 PDT 2014

On 3/26/2014 9:14 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> In theory yes, but we are talking about text documents that typically
> aren't bigger than 100k.   Obviously we should avoid adding a ton of
> image and javascript ballast to these pages, but we can get away with
> shoving the document down the pipe, and if the link is really slow
> and the user doesn't want it, the will have time to abort the
> download.

I used to run a national email service over 1200 baud dialup (CSNet), so
yes, you are certainly correct.

Your "obviously" sentence captures the kind of design thinking I also
agree with.

In general, the site does not need gee-whiz flash, though it does need
professional appearance.  But that can be done without excessive
bandwidth or interaction requirements.

d/

--
Dave Crocker