[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 26 08:44:38 PDT 2014

> They will be sad regardless.   But the chances are that they went to
> the page for the data, not the metadata, so most of the time they
> will be glad they don't have to wait an extra click's duration for
> their data to start downloading.

+1

> Also, we really shouldn't be
> planning for the status quo.   At the moment, networks are tending to
> get better over time, not worse,

While true, the essential problem with this observation is that it tends
to bias designs towards higher capability clients and paths.

What it biases against is that much of the world is looking at a
continuing future with limited platforms and limited channels.

The point is not that we should then bias everything to work for 2"
screens on 1200 baud links, but that we should not presume everyone has
the latest computer and a high speed link.

>  and RFCs are rarely big enough to
> really slow you down even at 9600 baud.

+1

d/