[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Mar 26 08:32:21 PDT 2014

On Mar 25, 2014, at 11:47 PM, John R Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
> You appear to be assuming that everyone will want the document in the form that's on the landing page.  If that were so, why are we screwing around with multiple document formats?

When you are browsing the web, you almost always want a web page.   When you are printing a document to read on the airplane, you probably want PDF.   When you are trying to render the document according to your specific preferences, you may prefer the XML.   So we have to have multiple formats, but it's not unreasonable to designate one as "most likely the one you want."   And cookies of course can optimize further, for people who really do prefer something else.