[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Mar 26 08:29:04 PDT 2014

On Mar 25, 2014, at 11:47 PM, John R Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's a dreadful idea to put the HTML version into the landing page, although for large documents, the people on slow connections will be sad.

They will be sad regardless.   But the chances are that they went to the page for the data, not the metadata, so most of the time they will be glad they don't have to wait an extra click's duration for their data to start downloading.   Also, we really shouldn't be planning for the status quo.   At the moment, networks are tending to get better over time, not worse, and RFCs are rarely big enough to really slow you down even at 9600 baud.   And browsers will show you the data before it's done downloading, so you can click through and stop the download if you really wanted the metadata.   I don't think we should get to exercised about this scenario.