[rfc-i] Landing page & Accept header (Re: Feeding search engines, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01)

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Mar 26 08:13:10 PDT 2014

On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:14 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> Proposal:
>
> - the landing page for the canonical URI for any RFC should be a web
> page like the tools.ietf.org rfc pages: the HTML rendering of the RFC
> with links to alternative formats at the top

That seems to cover most of the use cases people have brought up, particularly Julian's about allowing references in an RFC to be to a specific section of the target RFC.

Most of the information that we see at http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6949 is already in the header info of the HTML format, so it doesn't need to be repeated. The top stuff would then consist of just a URL for the full landing page, the two "cite" references, and the three "other actions". That could just be rendered with a <ul> below it, before the header display block of the full HTML. For that matter, the info could even be part of the regular HTML format in its own <div>, and CSS can be used to either display or hide it.

> - if Accept: is set to some other content type that is supported,
> then the server should return that format of the RFC instead the HTML
> rendering.
>
> This will make it trivial to write "curl -H 'Accept: application/pdf'
> ... | print -" and so on.

This seems like a good feature, and one that is trivial for AMS to implement.

--Paul Hoffman