[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 26 08:06:14 PDT 2014

On 3/26/2014 7:58 AM, Tony Hansen wrote:
> An alternative is that the info page includes the HTML version's text at
> its bottom, sort of like the way that the datatracker includes an html
> marked up version of the text form.

Exactly.  Again:  both tools.ietf and datatracker.ietf do a version of
what we should settle on:  meta-data at the top (including choice of
alternate presentation format) followed by the document.

On 3/26/2014 7:47 AM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
 > On 3/25/14 2:36 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:
>> Are you saying that you don't know how to set the datatracker to
>> show an individual the entire document by default?
>>
>> (upper left corner, under Settings is New Account and Options.
>> Click Options, and set your default for Show full document text in
>> document page)
 > I didn't. Thanks!
 >
 > But I assume that setting will only apply when logged in. Most of the
 > time when I retrieve a doc from the data tracker I'm not logged in.

I've checked and it does not seem to need login.  But it does require
prior setting.

We need these pages to work well for first-time visitors.  That requires
having the most helpful defaults.  In this case, that means changing the
default to show the entire document.

On the average -- probably quite a bit higher percentage than what we
use for rough consensus determination -- when someone uses a link to a
document, they want the document.  So the default should be to give it
to them.

If there is a real concern about low-bandwidth users, then provide an
alternative interface for 'mobile' clients, as many sites already do.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking