[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Mar 25 19:53:49 PDT 2014

>Still, the premise of your point is to consider what the user will
>expect.  I wonder whether there are common conventions for handling the
>issue of documents in multiple forms, and what template for links to
>them to use?  If there is already common practice, we should use it.

In DOI-land, the landing page invariably is a description of the
document, typically with an abstract and links to whatever versions
are available.  If the document's behind a paywall, they send you off
to pay, but even for stuff like the ACM Digital Library where most
users have a subscription, you still arrive at a landing page, not the
PDF of the article.

As I've said several times, I couldn't tell you what format I prefer,
because it varies depending on what I'm doing.  I don't think that's
unusual.

R's,
John