[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Mar 25 17:06:16 PDT 2014

>> Of the things we could link to (info page, plain text, HTML, XML, PDF...) what do *you* expect to choose most of the time?
>
>I will choose HTML most of the time, but I have no idea if I am typical or, even if I am, how typical I am. I
>certainly don't think I am typical enough to want to waste the vertical real estate of the vast majority of references
>in an RFC on that gamble.

I will choose different stuff at different times depending on what I
want to do, and my choice will not be consistent even in the same
browser on the same device.

For example, if I'm using my Android tablet and I want to read the
whole thing, I'd prefer ePub, but if I just want to search through for
some bit of text, I'd prefer HTML.  Unless the state of DWIM has made
major advances in recent years, the only reasonable way to do that is
to give me a landing page with links for the various formats.

I'm not opposed to having the landing page include the RFC except for
the fact that some RFCs are quite long, and downloading the whole
thing on a slow connection is annoying if that's not the format I want.

R's,
John