[rfc-i] URIs in references, was: Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 15:49:16 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-25 23:15, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> In 4.8.6.1, use of "web caching services" is archaic. Also,
>> "personal space" sounds quite touchy-feely. It is also
>> inappropriate: in the security field, many vulnerabilities
>> are described only on personal blogs, not organizational blogs or
>> academic papers.
>
> Web caching services still exist.  Do they have a different name now?
>
> I also don't have a better term for personal space - do you have any
> suggestions?
>
> Regarding the overall guidance, something needs to go here to indicate
> what the editors will question.  Editors have no way of determining if
> www.university.edu/~joe is a tenured faculty at an institution that will
> never delete his web directory, or an adjunct faculty whose web space
> may disappear along with his grant without a great deal of work.  And
> while I think we are likely going to have to accept most of the web page
> references that come in as informative references, normative references
> must be as stable and reputable as possible given the fluctuations of
> the web world.
>
> So, what that means for the text is: I am open to clarifying the
> existing text, but not to removing it entirely.  Some proposed
> alternative text:
>

> The use of URIs in references is acceptable as long as the URI is the
> most stable (i.e., unlikely to change and expected to be continuously
> available) and direct reference possible.  The URI will be verified as
> valid during the RFC editorial process.  Personal web pages and web
> caching services are not considered stable and will not be accepted as
> normative references.  Informative references to personal web pages
> (including blogs) are discouraged, but are acceptable if they are deemed
> the most stable reference available.

That doesn't work for me.

It makes Mark Nottingham's and Tim Bray's super-stable blog URIs
disallowed (personal web page), but would make a random blogger.com page
acceptable.

Yes, it's hard to check. In doubt, trust the author of the spec. He/she
is interested in providing useful links.

Best regards, Julian