[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 08:56:33 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-25 16:50, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:05 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's *possible* to navigate where you want. But it's inconvenient.
>
> Why is it inconvenient? It's a single click.

It's a second click. For you and me it's easy because we know about the
info page, but in general people will need a moment to understand where
they are, and where they have to click to get to the actual spec.

>> Of the things we could link to (info page, plain text, HTML, XML, PDF...) what do *you* expect to choose most of the time?
>
> I will choose HTML most of the time, but I have no idea if I am typical or, even if I am, how typical I am. I certainly don't think I am typical enough to want to waste the vertical real estate of the vast majority of references in an RFC on that gamble.

I'm not too concerned about vertical real estate, that's so
text/plain-ish :-) Also, I don't think that additional link is really
needed, as it's already linked from the spec's boilerplate.

Best regards, Julian