[rfc-i] URIs in RFC references, was: feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 00:28:46 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-24 19:17, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Sandy and I talked about this, and felt that the info page was the best
>> choice for two main reasons:
>> - in the future, we will have multiple publication formats and people
>> will need to be sent to a location where they can choose the one they
>> want
>
> People following a link on the web will want to see the HTML version
> something like 99.9% of the time.
>
> That being said, we need to discuss how to reach the goal of having
> search engines return meaningful results of RFC searches. If we insist
> on linking only to the metadata, the *actual* spec will not get the
> ranking it should have.

Alternate proposal:

    [BCP14]    Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
               Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997,
               <http://www.rfc-editor.org/TBD/bcp14>.

               Other formats, updates and errata available from
               <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/bcp14>.

...where the first URI would be a pointer to the version that people
will want to navigate to to *read* the document.

Best regards, Julian