[rfc-i] feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 00:21:25 PDT 2014

On 2014-03-25 04:00, Nico Williams wrote:
> I don't care how we get to this.  Whether editors must add two spaces
> after sentence-ending periods or whether xml2rfc (and friends) must do
> something special, but it is important that xml2rfc (and friends)
> tolerate two spaces after sentence-ending periods: a) because unless

There's no problem *tolerating* them. The problem is *preserving* them,
which is not possible, as the contents of the <t> element has ignorable
whitespace. The processor is not aware of the distinction between spaces
you put in for formatting or for delimiting sentences.

> we require sentences in a paragraph to be separated by <sentence> or
> separated by <br/> tags (it won't be popular) this is important for
> text $EDITOR users, b) because sentence separation is semantically

Is it? Example, please.

> important in some cases and this is as good as it gets without new
> tags (see (a)), c) because this practice is still commonly used.

Again: it's heuristics. They don't always work. When they fail, you need
ugly hacks to overcome them.

Best regards, Julian