[rfc-i] feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Mar 24 20:00:29 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
> <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>> >    *  When a sentence ended by a period is immediately followed by
>> >       another sentence, there should be two blank spaces after the
>> >       period.
>> >
>> > This is a rule that (IMHO) only makes sense for plain text renderings.
>> > It requires heuristics in the generator tools to detect line ends. We
>> > really should get rid of it.
>>
>> Its utility largely depends on the fonts used.
>

> I find this very helpful upstream, when I’m editing text in emacs or vim or
> whatever in a monospace font.  And I don’t worry, because I know that
> downstream HTML renderers will do the right thing and pay no attention to
> authors’ silly opinions about inter-sentence spacing. -T

A hearty +1.

I don't care how we get to this.  Whether editors must add two spaces
after sentence-ending periods or whether xml2rfc (and friends) must do
something special, but it is important that xml2rfc (and friends)
tolerate two spaces after sentence-ending periods: a) because unless
we require sentences in a paragraph to be separated by <sentence> or
separated by <br/> tags (it won't be popular) this is important for
text $EDITOR users, b) because sentence separation is semantically
important in some cases and this is as good as it gets without new
tags (see (a)), c) because this practice is still commonly used.

Nico