[rfc-i] XML of RFCs in AUTH48

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon Mar 24 11:06:10 PDT 2014

On 3/22/14, 3:30 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-03-21 09:04, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I found that surprising as it has important uses, and I was pretty sure
>> it is indeed used a lot. So I ran statistics on AUTH48 RFC XML snapshots
>> in the range 6000-6999 (attached is the raw data, plus the XSLT I used).
>
> Speaking of which: it would be good if these files would be available
> for everybody who wants to do this kind of research...
>
> Heather: are there reasons not to?

Yes.

The XML-format I-Ds in the RFC Editor queue are not the canonical format
for RFCs and do not contain the final changes made by the RFC Editor.
There will often be differences, usually in the page layout but possibly
in the content, between the published RFC and the text one might derive
from those XML files.  We make the XML files available upon request, but
only upon request so we can make sure people understand that they are
not getting an XML version of the RFC.

When the format changes to a canonical XML file, then that XML will of
course be made available to the public.  The draft XML, however, which
may not be in the canonical format, will be held back as it is today,
for the same reasons.

-Heather