[rfc-i] Author names in RFC references

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Mar 24 10:38:53 PDT 2014

On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:41 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 3/24/2014 8:38 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> whereas RFCs use
>>>
>>> Mouse, M., Duck, D., and Donald Duck, "A cartoon", ...
>>>
>>> There isn't really any logic to it AFAICS... we just have to live with it.
>

> 1.  It makes the list shorter

It's 2014. We don't need to be saving bytes on the wire in our RFCs.

> 2.  What actual problems are caused by the current scheme?

- It doesn't work well for authors whose names don't have clear initials, particularly those in Asian countries who prefer to put their family name first

- It makes reading our references more difficult for people who don't understand the format

- It is error-prone in a format that is supposed to be canonical

--Paul Hoffman