[rfc-i] feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Mon Mar 24 10:03:17 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <
rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> >    *  When a sentence ended by a period is immediately followed by
> >       another sentence, there should be two blank spaces after the
> >       period.
> >
> > This is a rule that (IMHO) only makes sense for plain text renderings.
> > It requires heuristics in the generator tools to detect line ends. We
> > really should get rid of it.
>
> Its utility largely depends on the fonts used.

​I find this very helpful upstream, when I’m editing text in emacs or vim
or whatever in a monospace font.  And I don’t worry, because I know that
downstream HTML renderers will do the right thing and pay no attention to
authors’ silly opinions about inter-sentence spacing. -T​