[rfc-i] draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-04 - xref/@section

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Mar 20 00:48:31 PDT 2014

On <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-04#section-2.58.3>:

> 2.58.3. 'section' attribute
>

>    Specifies a section for the generated reference.  For example,
>
>         See <xref section="2.3" target="RFC6949"/> for more inforation.
>
>    would generate
>
>         See Section 2.3 of [RFC6949] for more information.

I appreciate the addition, but I think we need a bit more:

- the impact on non-reference xrefs should be mentioned (ignored/invalid?)

- I believe we need to support at least one additional format, being:
"[RFC6949], Section 2.3"

- the ability to specify a relative reference (to be resolved against
the linked-to document's base URI), so that we can "deep link" into
non-IETF documents (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-xml2rfc-latest.html#element.rfc.attribute.xml-lang>
for an example use)

Henrik can probably inspect rfcmarkup's source code for more patterns
that are in common use.

Best regards, Julian

PS: see also
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#ext-rfc2629.xref>