[rfc-i] Keeping some of the PIs from v2 in v3, but as an actual part of the grammar

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Mar 18 10:53:48 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> A hopefully-complete list of v2 PIs are at <http://xml.resource.org/authoring/README.html#anchor6>. Many of the PIs on that list are of very marginal value, and given that few people knew of them, can probably be ignored for v3. Some of them are actively harmful for v3, such as those that would suppress valuable information in the non-canonical representations. I believe that the following list could be of value in v3:

It's always frustrating how much harder it is to find the PI docs than
the xml2rfc docs...

> compact
> inline
> sortrefs
> subcompact
> symrefs
> toc
> tocappendix
> tocdepth

+1 to all of those.  Also add:

tocindent
tocnarrow
tocompact
subcompact
private
notedraftinprogress (or replace with something else)
iprnotified
comments
authorship

and maybe a few more.

> These could be added as new attributes in the <rfc> element, or could be attributes in an new element that is a child to <rfc>; the former seems easier and not onerous.

Putting them all in one child of <rfc> seems better.

Nico