[rfc-i] Keeping some of the PIs from v2 in v3, but as an actual part of the grammar

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 18 10:45:01 PDT 2014

On 3/18/14 1:36 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Lets kill toc and tocdepth for a start.
>
> People can choose to use them or not in other documents they produce in
> XML2RFC. But providing a TOC should not be a choice in an ID or RFC, it
> should be a requirement.

I disagree.

Some documents are very short, and the TOC is just distracting.

And in large documents, controlling tocdepth is important to getting a
TOC that is useful.

I suppose an alternative to 'toc' would be to have some heuristics for
when a draft is sufficiently complex to benefit from a TOC. And
'tocdepth' could potentially be replaced by attributes on sections
indicating that they should not be included in the TOC.

	Thanks,
	Paul