[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 03:29:24 PDT 2014

On 13/03/2014 15:18, Jim Schaad wrote:
> Here are a couple of comments that I have:
>
> 1. Section 3.5:  Current text "Abbreviations must be expanded in document
> titles and upon first use in the body of the document, which includes the
> Abstract."  Based on this it is not clear to me if an item that is expanded
> in the Abstract then also needs to be done in the first section as well.
> The sentence appears to indicate that the Abstract is part of the body for
> the purposes of this rule.

Also, I find the "must" a bit uncompromising. It's also a change. Look at
these two entries in the index, for example:

2428 FTP Extensions for IPv6 and NATs. M. Allman, S. Ostermann, C.
     Metz. September 1998. (Format: TXT=16028 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED
     STANDARD)

2429 RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of ITU-T Rec. H.263 Video
     (H.263+). C. Bormann, L. Cline, G. Deisher, T. Gardos, C. Maciocco,
     D. Newell, J. Ott, G. Sullivan, S. Wenger, C. Zhu. October 1998.
     (Format: TXT=43166 bytes) (Obsoleted by RFC4629) (Status: PROPOSED
     STANDARD)

I don't think it's viable to forbid all abbreviations in titles.

   Brian