[rfc-i] Fwd: Re: [Json] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7158 (3907)

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Mar 9 22:43:26 PDT 2014

Hi Martin,
At 21:44 09-03-2014,Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>Of course RFCs form an archival series. But at
>least in my understanding, the defining aspect
>of an archival series isn't that nothing, not
>even the most silly and obvious mistake, can be
>fixed even a second after publication. The
>defining aspect of an archival series is that it
>stays stable in the long term (where in the
>specific case at hand, long term can be defined
>as short as "longer than a day").

I agree that there can be silly and most obvious
mistakes.  Such mistakes are not fixed when there
is a rigid application of the principle.   Fixing
a document within a day due to an obvious mistake
is an alternative worth considering.  I would
leave it to the RFC Series Editor to decide about
what constitutes an obvious mistake.

Regards,
-sm