[rfc-i] Call for Review of draft-iab-doi-01.txt, "Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs"

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Thu Mar 6 07:46:34 PST 2014

> From: "Jim Schaad" <ietf at augustcellars.com>
>
> > On 06/03/2014 03:55, Jim Schaad wrote:
> > > I have a nagging in the back of my head.  Does a single DOI work for
> > > BCPs as the contents of the BCP changes over time?
> >
> > I'm not sure which landing page would be used for the DOI, but
> > http://www.rfc-editor.org/bcp/bcp10.txt (the plain text landing
> > page) is presumably kept current by the RFC Editor.

> Yes, but that means that the DOI from an old document would hit the
> "wrong" landing page.

This becomes one of those interesting referential problems.  When you
say "BCP 7", do you mean "the BCP 7 at the moment the document
containing the reference was written" or "the BCP 7 at the moment the
reference is dereferenced"?  There needs to be two different
references, one with each meaning.

Dale