[rfc-i] Call for Review of draft-iab-styleguide-01.txt, "RFC Style Guide"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 06:48:23 PST 2014

I'm happy with the draft except for one subsection.

> 4.8.6.3. Referencing Internet-Drafts

I want to strongly support the proposed inclusion of
the Internet-Draft file name.

The citations committee a few years ago (see
draft-carpenter-rfc-citation-recs-01) actually made four
specific recommendations:

>    1.  The RFC Editor should include the exact publication date in the
>        citation of an Internet-Draft.

Including the file name makes this less important.

>    2.  Authors should be allowed to cite several versions of the same
>        draft.

This is a corner case but occasionally it's necessary. Can it be mentioned
in the style guide?

>    3.  The RFC Editor is encouraged include the full Internet-Draft file
>        name in citations.
>    4.  A citation of an Internet-Draft should use the phrase "Working
>        Draft" rather than "Work in Progress" whenever appropriate.
>        (Stream-specific policies and practices might prohibit this
>        practice within certain RFC document streams.)

The argument for this is that drafts that expired years ago are
sometimes cited, and calling them "Work in Progress" is simply
untrue.

    Brian