[rfc-i] Adding line breaks to v3 [from xml2rfc]

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Mon Jun 30 23:03:59 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 8:59 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2014, at 11:48 PM, Sean Leonard <dev+ietf at seantek.com> wrote:
>> However, I would like to point out that all of these delimited sets of elements can be written out in plaintext, *except* for linebreak. Which goes back to my point that <br> (or its equivalent) is no more or less dignified than other legitimate delimiter characters like , ; / <> etc.
> Why aren't you asking for <pre>?

Good question. <pre> renders in a fixed-width font (in HTML). I do not
want to be forced to a fixed-width font.

I suppose that <pre>
</pre> could work in the literal sense (i.e., the contents of <pre> are
just a newline), but it's very circuitous. I mean, literally that
instruction is telling the parser: "I want you to include a line break
here". You could more straightforwardly express what you mean with <br>
or <vspace>.

Speaking of which: I looked at <spanx> in the v2 vocabulary. When
xml:space is 'preserve' (the default), it implies that whitespace is
significant...and this would include line breaks.

But Julian wrote a note back on 28 Jan 2014
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xml2rfc/current/msg04381.html>
explaining that xml2rfc does not actually preserve the whitespace on output.

I have not reviewed the code firsthand. However, if this is an
/implementation error/, it seems to my mind to be an acceptable
workaround in the v2 grammar to say
Item1<spanx>
</spanx>Item2
and then correct xml2rfc's implementation accordingly, without modifying
the grammar.

Sean