[rfc-i] Adding line breaks to v3 [from xml2rfc]

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Mon Jun 30 20:48:13 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 12:17 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2014, at 3:15 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>> But that's *between* list items, not *within* list items, no?
> Yes, based on Sean's subsequent reply I think we are actually talking about somewhat different things.

The use case that I am most interested in is between "list" items--where
the "list" is neither indented nor demarcated (with bullets, numbers, or
anything else). I put "list" in quotes because it is a list of items but
not in the <list><ul> sense. Rather it is a *list of items*. We could
also call it a "set of items", such as:

Which could be rendered as:
***
emailAddress
email
***

If you want to get all fancy, I suppose you could have <set
title="Baseball Players in the Outfield" delim="linebreak">.
Alternatives to delim might be "comma", "comma-space", "semicolon",
"semicolon-space", "slash", "space-slash-space", "angle-brackets",
"json-array", etc.

However, I would like to point out that all of these delimited sets of
elements can be written out in plaintext, *except* for linebreak. Which
goes back to my point that <br> (or its equivalent) is no more or less
dignified than other legitimate delimiter characters like , ; / <> etc.

The use case that Brian Carpenter mentions appears to be within list
items, i.e., to have list items where each item can contain multiple
paragraphs of text. (But Brian: you also mentioned that sometimes you
use <vspace blankLines="0"/> so it would be appreciated if you can
elaborate.)

The additional use cases are:
poetry
glossary (see my draft for the use of <vspace> in <postamble>, to
delimit between * and ** footnotes in the table without starting a new
paragraph/adding a blank line)

-Sean