[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Jun 30 20:07:27 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 7:57 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> Can you say more about the people for whom FFs are useful, but for whom
> the PDF does not suffice?

Joe,

The question imposes a strawman test.  It artificially creates a burden
to compare txt to pdf, although there is no need to do that.

Take txt on its own.  Txt is going to be produced.

Questions about what it supports should be on its own terms, unless
there is some larger question of cross-format adequacy, and no, that's
not at issue here that I'm aware of.

The instant we take the bait of trying to answer your question, we have
the obligation of asking similar questions for all the alternative
formats and capabilities.

So let's not go there.

d/

--