[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:15:04 PDT 2014

On 01/07/2014 12:43, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 03:17:47PM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> a2ps has worked for decades, and is available on both.
>
> Just so that we're all clear, here: what you're saying is that, in
> order to use the ^L, all we have to do is have a special-purpose raw
> ("ASCII", though some versions handle UTF-8 and so on too) text-reader
> program whose only job is to format the input for printing by
> productig PostScript.  Therefore, we should maintain the existing
> page-oriented teletype format with the line feed and everything,

No, not "and everything". As I implied and Dave Crocker clarified,
decent printing of raw txt does call for a FF in the same places
as you need a new page in PDF: after every N lines, or to avoid widows
or split artwork. Nothing new there, and I'd be glad to see the back
of the running header and footer.

(BTW teletypes did not support pagination. I don't recall what an
ASR33 did with FF; probably nothing.)

> rather than producing PDF files in the appropriate format for
> printing.

No, PDF as the primary printable format is just fine. All that's
been said is: in the txt format, retain the FFs, which are useful
to some people and harmless to others.

  Brian