[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Mon Jun 30 18:05:02 PDT 2014

> On Jun 30, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 03:17:47PM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
>>
>> a2ps has worked for decades, and is available on both.
>
> Just so that we're all clear, here: what you're saying is that, in
> order to use the ^L, all we have to do is have a special-purpose raw
> ("ASCII", though some versions handle UTF-8 and so on too) text-reader
> program whose only job is to format the input for printing by
> productig PostScript.

Is satisfies the request. It's available on Linux and Mac. It's not special - it's was default way to print text to non- text devices for decades.

Nor is Wordpad special. It's one of two tools provided with every version of windows.

> Therefore, we should maintain the existing
> page-oriented teletype format with the line feed and everything,
> rather than producing PDF files in the appropriate format for
> printing.  Do I have this correct?

You have correctly created a stawman.  It's not worth addressing beyond that, because PDF can't do a lot of other stuff using similarly simple common tools (like diff).

Joe