[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jun 30 16:55:01 PDT 2014

On 6/30/14, 4:17 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>On Jun 30, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)
><jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:
>>> Wordpad is still free on all windows pcs.
>> Got anything that works on Macs or Linux?
>a2ps has worked for decades, and is available on both.

After I downloaded it, installed it, killed an entire forrest by mistake,
figured out what options to use, etc., that worked.  Thank you for finally
exposing one of the secrets.  I say secret, because I don't see anything
about a2ps on the tools site or the rfc-editor site.

>> Again, it's not that there exist options, but that most options don't
>> work, calling into question the utility of having ^L at all.  If the
>> target market can't use the feature, the feature is broken.
>I don't understand the logic; it's not like the tool (a2ps) has changed.

The target audience has changed.  Not all of them are willing to spend
hours dorking around getting command-line tools installed and configured

One more time on the *technical* questions I've been trying to ask:  If we
had a pdf format that had nice widow-and-orphan control, could keep art on
a single page, could produce long tables with repeating headers, etc,
would we need a manually-produced text version that had labor-intensive
^Ls?  Or alternately, is there an existence proof of tooling that could
produce such output from the XML?  If so, would the page breaks be useful
to anyone that could also download the PDF?

Joe Hildebrand