[rfc-i] not just 'lineprinter' (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt)

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jun 30 16:55:01 PDT 2014

On 6/30/14, 4:17 PM, "Joe Touch" <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>On Jun 30, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)
><jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:

>>> Wordpad is still free on all windows pcs.
>>
>> Got anything that works on Macs or Linux?
>
>a2ps has worked for decades, and is available on both.

After I downloaded it, installed it, killed an entire forrest by mistake,
figured out what options to use, etc., that worked.  Thank you for finally
exposing one of the secrets.  I say secret, because I don't see anything
about a2ps on the tools site or the rfc-editor site.

>> Again, it's not that there exist options, but that most options don't
>> work, calling into question the utility of having ^L at all.  If the
>> target market can't use the feature, the feature is broken.
>
>I don't understand the logic; it's not like the tool (a2ps) has changed.

The target audience has changed.  Not all of them are willing to spend
hours dorking around getting command-line tools installed and configured
anymore.

One more time on the *technical* questions I've been trying to ask:  If we
had a pdf format that had nice widow-and-orphan control, could keep art on
a single page, could produce long tables with repeating headers, etc,
would we need a manually-produced text version that had labor-intensive
^Ls?  Or alternately, is there an existence proof of tooling that could
produce such output from the XML?  If so, would the page breaks be useful
to anyone that could also download the PDF?

--
Joe Hildebrand